THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
Aerial image showing the junction and its prximity to Lichfield City Station and the housing that has sprung up to the east of it over the last 50 years
THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY
LICHFIELD CITY JUNCTION
Lichfield became a junction in 1884 when the Sutton Coldfield line was opened and service to and from Birmingham stated. Once the Beeching axe had fallen on the few remaining passenger stations on this line in 1964 the South Staffordshire alignment became a freight only route. The line to Walsall subsequently closed to all traffic in March 1984, except for the portion as far as Anglesey sidings (near Hammerwich), which was retained to serve an oil terminal until 2001 and has remained mothballed ever since.
Once the Sutton Coldfield line was electrified as part of the Cross City Route and the line south of Aglesea was lifted the South Staffs alignment was reduced to a lightly used freight only branch line.
CHESTERFIELD ROAD BRIDGE
Taken from on the bridge looking South down the Chesterfield Road. This side of the bridge the housing a bit more mature
Taken from on the bridge looking North onto the junction of Chesterfield Road and Santa Foy. The new housing that has sprund up in the last decade or so can be seen on the other side of the roundabout
TRACK TO SANDFIELD
Again taken from the bridge, this time facing back towards the junction
Takenfrom the same spot as the picture left, facing east towards Sandfields Pumping Station