THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
A POTTED HISTORY
Tiverton railway station opened in 1848 as the terminus station of a broad gauge branch line from the Bristol and Exeter Railway main line: the main line junction station four miles away had originally been called Tiverton Road but was renamed as Tiverton Junction when the branch opened.
In 1884 and 1885, with the Bristol and Exeter Railway having been taken over by the Great Western Railway, Tiverton was reached by two other railways which then linked up to form a through route. From the north, the Tiverton and North Devon Railway was a branch line from the Devon and Somerset Railway at Morebath Junction and brought through services from Dulverton; to the south of Tiverton, the Exe Valley Railway, which opened in 1885, provided services through to Exeter, with a junction with the Bristol and Exeter main line at Stoke Canon.
The arrival of this new route meant that the original station was not adequate and a large new station was built on the through line, with a junction for the original line to Tiverton Junction.
The station was busy right up to the time of its closure, but traffic on the rest of the Exe Valley line suffered from competition with the roads. The Exe Valley line closed in 1963 and passenger services were withdrawn from the original line from Tiverton Junction just a year later, with goods facilities closing in 1967. The station was later demolished and much of the rail route around the town has disappeared under the A396 relief road system.
In view of the recent council decision to ratify the TIVERTON EASTERN URBAN EXTENSION plan for the next ten-twenty years that incorporates the plan to build a new town on the green field site in the V east of the town and south of Silverton. Coupled with the local populouses objections on the grounds of the increased road traffic. It would seem only logical to include the old railway route, currently cycle path which runs from Tiverton near the Tescos Store to a bridge where the plans clearly show the new town will be built up to, in a joined up logistical plan for developement. But is seems to have passed the council by thus far.
Once this has been done it then seems to the RRA that the next logical step would be to take this on to the old Tiverton Junction Station at Willand and connect the area again to the rail network. Especially in view of the current trend for people to be baulking from park and ride schemes when regular, reliable and direct transport routes are available.