THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
A POTTED HISTORY
Madeley Junction is a railway junction situated between Shifnal and Telford Central on the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Line in Shropshire, England.
The junction was controlled from Madeley Junction Signal Box until 2012, which was formerly located in the vee of the junction where the line from Wolverhampton diverges south towards Lightmoor and west towards Telford Central. Prior to its closure, a resignalling scheme saw its area of control extended on 16 December 2002 to cover Wellington, and again on 23 October 2006 with the abolition of Cosford, Codsall and Lightmoor Junction Signal Boxes. This scheme saw the replacement of the traditional mechanical lever frame with a WestCAD VDU control system.
In 2011 Network Rail put forward proposals to close the signal box and transfer control of its lines to the West Midlands Signalling Centre.
Closure of the signal box occurred in November 2012. Madeley Junction Signal box was demolished on 17 November 2012 and all control transferred to West Midlands Signalling Centre in Saltley, Birmingham.
The Great Western station near Madeley Court, known as Madeley, Salop on the line from Madeley Junction to Buildwas. this station had a short history - opened 1st June 1854, closed March 22nd 1915 (as a war time economy measure), reopened July 13th 1925, closed finally September 21st 1925. Goods facilities were retained until 1963, the line is still used by coal trains serving Ironbridge Power Station.
Even during its days as a passenger station it was only served by a couple of workmen's trains each day.
Buildwas railway station was an important bustling junction statio
Buildwas railway station was an important bustling junction station after the opening of the Severn Valley line in the mid-19th century. The station had platforms at two different levels and, at its peak, had a total of eleven staff, including the station master. Up to 1923 the area was controlled by two signal boxes, the Station signal box controlling the station area and the Junction signal box controlling the junction between the Severn Valley line and the double track line across the Albert Edward Bridge towards Lightmoor Junction. These were replaced with a single signal box approximately midway between its predecessors in 1923. This box was subsequently enlarged to accommodate a frame containing 113 levers on 9 December 1931. The track layout was altered several times during its existence including the additional CEGB sidings opened in 1932. Although thought by some people to have been closed as part of the Beeching axe in 1963 its planned closure pre-dated his report. The station was demolished to make way for Ironbridge B Power Station. Coal is now offloaded for the power station close to the site of the original station.
1948 OS map
Station site marked on modern OS style map