ROUND OAK

THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION

Unless otherwise stated alll pictures used herein are copyright Jane Taylor Potography all rights reserved. Ever efford has been made to obtain permission to use other photographs with links to thier own sites but if you believe your picture has been used without permission please contact us directly.

Licences for use of images may be obtained at a nominal cost by writing to info@railwayreinstatementassociation.couk. Licences will normally be granted free to charitable and not-for-profit organisations.

The Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway

ROUND OAK

 

Opened in 1852 to serve the town of Brierley Hill. Two railways/routes served the station - originally the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became the Great Western Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the London and North Western Railway) respectively.

 

In 1858 a coupling broke on an excursion train at the station and the rear portion rolled back down the gradient from Round Oak railway station towards Brettell Lane where it collided with another train (which was actually part of the same excursion, the train already having been safely divided once due to its extreme length!) 14 passengers were killed and 50 more injured.

 

British Railways closed the station pre-Beeching in 1962 and plans for a freight use were abandoned at the same time. Goods trains continue to pass the site for a few hundreds yards northwards, to Round Oak Steel Terminal.

 

 

Take

Original road facing entrance whichresearch has yet to identify its pisition in relation to today's topography

Southbound train entering the station under the remaining road bridge the footbridge is long gone like the rest of the station

The station site in 2015 mature tress now growing on the former platforms

2015 view of the alignment. The partially obscured blue building in the background being the Round Oak Steel site

Take

Taken from the end of the southbound platform looking back through the station at the ramp up to the road. The building high on the road is today the pub.

By kind permission of Andy Doherty railaroundbirmingham

Although north of the road bridge this link takes interested viewers to a youtube video of the final shutting out of the signal box

2012 Will Jarman artists impression of how a new 'Waterside' station could look the other side of the road bridge directly underneath the call centre next to the Travel Lodge Motel