Kingswinford Junction & Moor Street Sidings

THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION

Looking north from Pensnett Road bridge to the footbridge. Note the John Lloyd Tennis Centre to the left of the alignment

From the same point looking up Brackleymore Road at the top of the cul-de-sac is an alleyway through to Pensnett Bridge

 

The other side of the bridge can be found the former station entrance now fenced off

The Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway

Kingswinford Junction and Moor Lane Sidings

 

This is the junction where the Wolverhampton and Kingswinford Railway left the OWWR, see our W&KR page. Of note is that Network Rail might be assumed to still hold out hopes that the Womborne Branch could be reopened to Pensnett as a freight line or they would have disposed of the asset. The 2013 track map publication showing the alignment still in NR hands and yard leased to DB Shenker, the rail freight moving company.

 

The signal box met a somewhat ignominious end, being burnt down by vandals 14 November 2001, eventually replaced by a ground frame. Now the site houses the electronics to operate the junction from the West Midlands signaling centre Saltley.

Taken from the foot bridge immediately south of the junction this picture shows how busy both the lines and indeed the yard were in the 1950's. Picture by kind permission of Paul Dorney, all rights reserved

Taken from within the yard in the mid 1980's this picture shows the still busy Moor Street yard looking back at the footbridge from which pictures in the previous sections were taken

In this picture of a Class 45 'Peak' in Moor Lane Yard, taken from high up in the overlooking flats, the single track remnant of the Wombourne line can be seen in the background with the remaining platform of Brockmoor Halt hidden behing the buildings and under the tree.

Moor Street Bridge

Taken from Moor Lane bridge facing south thwe two loop sidings can be seenclearly despite the grass and saplings begining to take hold even though the site has only been mothballed for a short time

Considerabe new housing built right next to goods yard that would benefit from a reintroduction of a passenger serve on the alignment

Take from Moor Lane bridge looking north onto the site of the former Brierley Hill Station which was situated just to the fore of the distant road bridge

The road entrance to the yard with road bridge over the site Brockmoor Halt on the motnballed 'Wombourne Line' in the far distance

Brierley Hill

 

Opened in 1858. British Rail closed the station pre-Beeching in 1962. Two railways/routes served the station - originally the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became the Great Western Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the London and North Western Railway) respectively.

 

The station's pedestrian entrance from Station Road is still in existence, though it has long been blocked off by a fence.

 

Today, Goods trains still use the track where the station once stood, on their way to the nearby Round Oak Steel Terminal.

 

1953 OS map showing the extent of the sidings at the time, the Wombourne frieght line diverging and the site of Brierley Hill Station not far north of the yard, making it very close to Brettell Lane

The former footbridge and station at Brierley Hill. Sadly no remaining reference points are descernable to indicate which direction the photographer was facing

 

Looking through the bridge and up Station Road Brierley Hill. The station was to the south of the bridge left as we look at it in this picture

Site of the station today, just south of the Station Road bridge, left in this 2016 picture

Modern OS style map showing the position of the former station in the context of the considerable increase in housing in the locality that would all benefit from a reinstatement of passenger services

Taken from the opposite platform we see a passenger train sat at the platform

PENSNETT ROAD BRIDGE

 

Situated at the junction of Pensnett Road, High Street, John's Road and Bank Street, it is approximately halfway between the former stations of Brierley Hill and Round Oak. Today the huge John Lloyd Tennis Centre sits atop the embankment on the north side of Pensnett Road.

Looking south from Pensnett Road Bridge, Brettell Lane Station would have been just out of sight around the curve. The housing is the top end of

ROUND OAK

 

Opened in 1852 to serve the town of Brierley Hill. Two railways/routes served the station - originally the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became the Great Western Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the London and North Western Railway) respectively.

 

In 1858 a coupling broke on an excursion train at the station and the rear portion rolled back down the gradient from Round Oak railway station towards Brettell Lane where it collided with another train (which was actually part of the same excursion, the train already having been safely divided once due to its extreme length!) 14 passengers were killed and 50 more injured.

 

British Railways closed the station pre-Beeching in 1962 and plans for a freight use were abandoned at the same time. Goods trains continue to pass the site for a few hundreds yards northwards, to Round Oak Steel Terminal.

 

 

Take

Original road facing entrance which research has yet to identify its pisition in relation to today's topography

Southbound train entering the station under the remaining road bridge

The station site in 2015 mature tress now growing on the former platforms

2015 view of the alignment. The partially obscured blue building in the background being the Round Oak Steel site

Take

Taken from the end of the southbound platform looking back through the station at the ramp up to the road. The building high on the road is today the pub

Although north of the road bridge this link takes interested viewers to a youtube video of the final shutting out of the signal box

2012 Will Jarman artists impression of how a new 'Waterside' station could look the other side of the road bridge directly underneath the Travel Lodge Motel

Harts Hill

 

Opened in 1895 by a GWR keen to invest in what was perceived to be the lucrative passenger area of the Black Country, intended to serve the communities between Brierley Hill and Dudley. It closed, like many smaller passenger stations, in 1916 due to the First World War, but was consequently never re-opened when the passengers failed to materialise.

 

There are no remaining signs of the station, and the road from which it was accessed has long since been widened.

 

It was proposed to be reopened with a Midland Metro extension which will divert from the line at this point and run through Merry Hill Shopping Centre before and join on to Dudley and then Wednesbury.

Take

Take

Take

 

Parkhead Viaduct

 

Built in 1850 to pass over the locks on the Dudley canal just south of Dudley tunnel, this being the fourth viaduct referred to in the section on Stambermill Viaduct, the one that there was insufficient room to build a second structure alongside. Consequently it is widely believed that the present structure is built around the original wooden platform. Therefore any reopening would require a full structural survey to ascertain if it is still strong enough to support whatever weight of train may be proposed to run the route. Obviously one might say the lighter the better.

 

Take

Take

Take

Take

B Blowers Green

 

Opened in 1878 immediately north of Netherton station which it replaced. intending to serve the communities of Woodside and Netherton. Soon after opening it was renamed Dudley Southside & Netherton. =

 

Three railways/routes served the station - originally the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became the Great Western Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the London and North Western Railway) respectively. There were also services from Dudley to Old Hill along this route as part of GWR's service. The junction to Old Hill diverged between here and Harts Hill.

 

The line had reasonable passenger usage until about the early 1880s, when it began to slump at several stations, leading to the line becoming a largely freight only operation in 1887. It would remain open for goods traffic, which was considerable at this time, as the district had become highly industrialised in the then heyday of the Black Country's industrial past.

 

This station was known as Dudley Southside and Netherton until 1921, when it was renamed Blowers Green.

 

As the local industry declined and road transport became more common, the station entered a post-World War 2 decline.

 

British Railways closed the station to passengers in 1962 even though trains from Dudley to Old Hill passed through the station until 1964. It remained as an emergency escape point and access point for railway engineers until late 1965.

 

The station building has been bricked up. The forecourt has been fenced off since 2004 due to youths' anti-social behaviour, structural decay and periodical use by vagrants. Bill-posters are occasionally stuck to it from time to time.

Take

Take

Dudley Tunnel

 

Unusual in that it had a station very close to each entrance despite only being 946 yards long, it remained open even after the stations closed in 1964, goods trains still used the line, as did a passenger service from Wolverhampton to Birmingham Snow Hill until it finally closed to all trains on 19 March 1993 after 143 years in use, when the section of railway between Walsall and Brierley Hill was mothballed.

 

Network Rail and its predecessor British Rail do not always rip up track and sell off land when they believe there might be future use for the line to serve strategic freight yards. This is the reason this line has never ceased to be in the public eye as a possibility for passenger service reinstatement

Take

Dudley

 

Completed in 1860 as a result of collaboration between the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (which was soon to become part of the Great Western Railway, and the London and North Western Railway (which had taken control of the South Staffordshire Railway – the company that had constructed the line from Lichfield, via Walsall, to Dudley). The latter eventually became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.

 

The line had reasonable passenger usage until about the early 1880s, when it began to slump at several stations, leading to the line becoming a largely freight only operation in 1887. It would remain open for goods traffic, which was considerable at this time, as the district had become highly industrialised in the then heyday of the Black Country's industrial past.

 

As the local industry declined and road transport became more common, the station entered a post-World War 2 decline, although not as heavily as most others on the line.

 

The station was popular with local people who appreciated its convenient locations and frequent trains, with high numbers of passengers still using the services as recently as the 1950s. The OW&WR line from Stourbridge Junction to Wolverhampton Low Level closed to passengers in 1962, but Dudley remained as a terminus for trains from Walsall on the South Staffordshire Line, Old Hill on the Bumble Hole Line and Birmingham Snow Hill until the Beeching Axe had its effect in 1964 despite of the station's high passenger turnover at the time.

 

The South Staffordshire Line's uses were complicated, since some trains terminated at Dudley from Lichfield and Walsall, and some continued through to Stourbridge Junction and there are some references to services continuing further afield. Similarly, the same applied with the journey in reverse.

 

The buildings of Dudley Station remained open for parcels until early 1967, when they were knocked down and replaced by Dudley Freightliner Terminal. It was one of the first of its kind in Britain and larger than that in Birmingham. It finally closed in 1989, and the line passing through Dudley closed to all traffic in 1993. Some of the track remains in place, although as on the whole line much has been stolen for its scrap value. The Freightliner Terminal has recently become an overspill car park for Dudley zoo with a small area earmarked for the proposed Light Rail Innovation Centre of Warwick Manufaturing Group.

 

 

 

The South Staffordshire Line North to Dudley Port and Beyond

 

Travelling north from Dudley by going under the road bridge takes you on to the alignment of the track that was historically laid by the South Staffordshire Railway. See our Dudley to Lichfield page

Former Wolverhampton Alignment

Take

Take

Take

Take

Unless otherwise stated alll pictures used herein are copyright Jane Taylor Potography all rights reserved. Every efford has been made to obtain permission to use other photographs with links to thier own sites but if you believe your picture has been used without permission please contact us directly.

Licences for use of images may be obtained at a nominal cost by writing to info@railwayreinstatementassociation.couk. Licences will normally be granted free to charitable and not-for-profit organisations.