THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
The Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Brettell Lane Approach & Canal Bridge
As the railway approaches the former site of Brettell Lane station and yard it crosses an Iron bridge over Dudley No. 1 canal, immediately north of which would have been the points to access the goods yards both sides of the line
Railway bridge with low canal headroom taken from the foot bridge access to the tow path behind the building in the picture right at the junction of Station Approach and Meeting Lane
Having reached the canal bridge via the towpath this picture facing south towards Stambermill 2015
On visiting the site a year later a retake of the above picture clearly showing the new fencing put in place by Network Rail and the speed limit sign having been removed
What appears to be the only building remaining from the former goods yard sitting at the bottom of the access road and behind which is the foot path access to the canal tow path
From the same position in this picture facing north through the canal bridge. The warehouse seen is on the site of some of the former sidings
The only way the above picture could be recreated was to lean through the larger spacing of the bridge fenceing but afforded a better angle through the former station site. The bridge would habe been the far end of the platforms
Opened in 1852, by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway which was later absorbed by the Great Western Railway (GWR). Later still the South Staffs Railway shared the route south from their station at Dudley. It served local coal mining and steel mills of the area. Today there is no visible sign that the station or associated goods yards ever existed.
Once passenger usage declined in the 1880s at several stations, the line became largely a freight only operation in 1887. It would remain open for goods traffic, which was considerable at this time, as the district had become highly industrialised in the then heyday of the Black Country's industrial past. British Rail finally closing the station, as with all stations on the line, pre-Beeching in 1962.
For a brief period between 1925 and 1932 it served as the juction station for the GWR's experiment at running passenger services on the line to Wolverhampton Low Level, formeley the Kigswinford and Wolverhampton Railway, built originally for freight only. The stations were almost all halts serving hamlets, so never really caught on. Although with today's populations and a light rail Rapid Transit System it might yet be a viable system.
1953 OS map showing the extent of the Moor Lane sidings and the 'Wombourne' branch line
Historic picture taken from the Brettell Lane bridge showing this was once a faily large station with considerable goods yard
Taken from slightly to the right of the above picture on the Brettell Lane bridge showing there is today, absolutely no sign of the station. The goods yardS to the right and left are now Industrial Estates
Historic picture taken on the Brettell Lane platform facing north with the bridge in the background
Taken from the northern side of the Brettell Lane bridge showing today, the overgrown site of the former freight unloading bay. The wall just being visible through the vegitation. As there is considerable new housing in the area this could also serve as a new station site were plans to restart passenger services on the line successful, with foot access to each bridge.
Unless otherwise stated alll pictures used herein are copyright Jane Taylor Potography all rights reserved. Ever efford has been made to obtain permission to use other photographs with links to thier own sites but if you believe your picture has been used without permission please contact us directly.
Licences for use of images may be obtained at a nominal cost by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Licences will normally be granted free to charitable and not-for-profit organisations.