THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY
SANDFIELD PUMPING STATION
Built by the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company which was founded by the civil engineer John Robinson McClean (1818-1873) who had devised a scheme to utilise the springs and streams in the vicinity of Lichfield. . Although plans were initially drawn up in 1855, it was not until 1857 when work began in earnest, with the pumping engines being inaugurated in October 1858.
The remaining building houses the Cornish beam engine that was the last to be installed and is the only example of any type of engine built by J and G Davies of the Albion Foundry in Tipton and being completed in 1873.
Most of the original pumping station buildings, including the engine house, boiler house and chimney, were demolished in 1966, with the Cornish beam engine house being retained. A new pumphouse was subsequently built on the basement of the 1858 engine house.
In 1997 the South Staffordshire Water Company entered into a voluntary agreement with the Environment Agency to cease abstraction at Lichfield, resulting in the closure of the pumping station.