THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY
This line once connected Lichfield in Staffordshire, with Dudley, formerly in Worcestershire, now the West Midlands in the Black Country. Later becoming part of the London & North Western Railway and at nationalisation in 1948 the London and North Eastern, LNER. Passenger services ceased after the beeching report in the 1960's, but freight services continued on most of the line until 1999 Dudley, and 2004 Anglesea Sidings.
The line officially began at Wychnor Junction, north of Lichfield, and ran through what is now Lichfield Trent Valley. Trains then continued through to Lichfield City itself. From there the line continued through to Walsall and a low-level Terminated at Dudley Port. Later an agreement was signed with the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway and the line was connected at Dudley itself where a jointly built station was opened in 1860, creating a junction and large goods sidings. Allowing trains to continue on to serve other stations before eventually terminating at the south-western extremity of the Black Country at Stourbridge Junction.
Sadly today the line is mostly mothballed, apart from the central section from the former Anglesea Sidings north of Brownhills, to Junction just north of Walsall. It was the Anglesea yard with its Charrington's heavy oil depot that kept the northern section of the line open right up until its closure in 2001. A blow to Rail Track as it was then, who had resignaled and relaid segments of track in 1992, at which time the bridge over the new M6 toll road where it cut through the embankment was built as well.
STATIONS & FEATURES ON THE LINE
Ryecroft Junction to Walsall Station
Pleck & Bescot Junctions
Possible New Station