THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION
GREAT BRIDGE NORTH CANAL BRIDGE
THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY
GREAT BRIDGE NORTH
Great Bridge is another place on the South Staffs line that had two stations, the other being on the GWR route and opened in 1866. Built in 1850 North was appended to the name of the station just after nationalisation.
Passenger usage declined in the early 1880s, and the line became mainly freight in 1887. It remained open for goods traffic as the district became highly industrialized in the heyday of the Black Country's industrial past. Local industry declined after World War II and road transport became more common. British Rail closed the station to passengers through the Beeching Axe in 1964, but it continued as a freight station for local factories until 1972. Goods trains continued to pass through the site of the station until 1993. By that date no sign of the station or the goods yard remained. It is now derelict and mostly fenced off.
GREAT BRIDGE NORTH LEVEL CROSSING