Penn Halt

 

 

THE RAILWAY REINSTATEMENT ASSOCIATION

KINGSWINFORD & WOLVERHAMPTON RAILWAY

HIMLEY

 

Although serving the small community around Himley Hall it was given full station status and had quite a substantial presence. This could possibly be due to its proximity to the home of the Rt Hon Earl of Dudley, owner of Baggerwood, and other collieries in the area.

1948 OS map showing that at the time Himley was some way from the station. Wall Heath to the south has got significantly closer to the station today, increasing possible patronage further

Station layout drawing showing that Himley was a substantial station despite its small population

Looking south through the station, southbound platform on the left the northbound seems to have been removed to create picnic area

Station site marked on modern OS style map showing that apart from the new bypass that has allowed the village to spead almost to the railway alignment, nothing much has changed in this location

Lookihg south from end of platform over the bridge towards Gornal Halt. Note: The large gas or water pipe thatthe instalers have used the bridge to make for cheaper instalation

2016 photo showing that the southbound platform is still largely extant. Although extracting tree roots may cause damage were ropening ever required

WOMBOURNE CUTTING

 

Between Himley and Wombourne is a quite impressive cutting, which thanks to the paths along the top on which to divert walkers, it would not preclude a possible reopening

Heading north from Himley station you can either walk on a path in the woods or up the track alignment, around a bend then you see the gas pipe with road bridge beyond

Heading north through the cutting there is quite an incline. This would be significant for heavy rail but not for light rail were the line to reopen

Looking north through the road bridge into the cutting from underneath the gas pipe

Looking north

Looking north from under the bridge in the previous picture the black hole in the distance is the bridge under the road in central Wombourne

BRATCH OR WOMBOURNE

 

Originally built to serve the small community of Bratch

1948 OS map, the station being between the O and the M of the larger fonted word Wombourne and shows that the station was indeed in Bratch, of the area Wombourne, being to the north of the village itself

Widley reproduced post card of the time showing the station. Note it states Bratch station Wombourne

Station site marked on modern OS style map showing that the station would be poorly placed if the line were reopened, either needing a more central, or a second south station

Approaching the station at track level in 2016, the building is now owned by South Staffs Council and leased as a cafe and the fencing is for health and Safety so that customers do not fall off the platform edge

Looking back through the station. The bank of trees and brambles on the right mask the remnants of the northbound platform

PENN HALT

 

Although serving the small community

TETTENHALL

 

Al

1948 OS map

Looking south towards Penn. The station building is leased as a cafe serving walkers, cyclists and locals alike

Well restored station building across the car park where the original station forecourt would have been

Station site marked on modern OS style map

Looking north from the same spot towards Coxley Junction. The soutnbound platform wall still visible despite heavy undergrowth

Former engine shed now used as a transport museum open most Sundays. Sadly for our purposes not on Easter Sunday when we visited